Saturday, January 2, 2010

A delightful vegetarian recipe*


I guess I've been thinking a lot about my past travels lately, because everything I'm cooking is inspired by something I've loved eating whilst away. Every trip I've ever taken is defined by the food I've eaten and shared. So here's one I came up with inspired by a Carribbean Restaurant in New Orleans**.



Carribbean inspired Stir fry

2 plantains sliced***
1 red pepper chopped
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 clove minced garlic or more if you'd like
2 carrots, shredded
olive oil

1 to 1 1/2 cups Pineapple
1 can black beans
teaspoon of cinnamon
Kosher salt to taste

1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
5 scallions thinly sliced

1 1/2 cups cooked rice


Plantains:

1.Preheat a large skillet with about a 1/4 inch of olive oil on med heat. When hot but not smoking add Plantain in a single layer
( you will probably need to do this in batches)

2. Fry until browned and then turn.

3. Use a slotted spoon to remove plantains and place on a plate. Top with another plate and squish plantains. Return to skillet. Fry until browned. Remove plantains and drain on paper towels or a clean dish cloth. Repeat until all plantains are fried. Set aside.


Stirfry:

1. Heat one table spoon (ish) of olive oil in a large skillet on med. heat. Add garlic, ginger and red pepper and saute 3 or so minutes.

2. Add Black beans, carrots, pineapple and cinnamon. Stir occasionally cook until heated through, 5-7 minutes .

3.Mix in plantains, cook 3- 5 min more.

4. Add salt to taste

5.Serve over rice, Garnish with cilantro and scallions

ENJOY!

* My little people even liked it

** googling " Carribbean Restaurant New Orleans, LA" came up with West Indies Cafe and I want to say that's the place I went. The descriptions of the wall painting sound right.

*** Cooking the plantains earlier in the day really makes for a quick preparation at dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment